[SEL] OT PA trip & fuel costs

Rob Skinner rskinner at rustyiron.com
Tue Jun 5 20:55:14 PDT 2007

On Jun 5, 2007, at 8:05 PM, Tony & Jackie wrote:

> I remember in 1999-2000 gas around here was in the neighborhood of
> $1.00 per gallon.  Gas is now over three times that price.  I hardly
> think the number of cars on the road nor amount of gas consumed has
> TRIPLED in the last 7 years.  I'd also like to know why gas goes up
> in 10-20 cent jumps, but never drops more than 1-2 cents at
> once.  Fluctuations should go both ways, should they not?

Hi Tony,
I remember that gasoline was just breaking a buck a gallon back in
1979 when I started driving.  The BIG question is, why did the price
remain flat over a twenty year period?  If your number is correct,
then the price of gasoline, when adjusted to the consumer price
index, actually DROPPED 56%.  How many other commodities decreased in
cost by more than half?

> I run my VW Jetta diesel on used motor oil (or used cooking oil) and
> get 43 MPG.

I'm curious about this. What do you do to turn the used oil into
usable fuel.  Cost of raw materials?  Man hours?

Thanks,
Rob