[SEL] OT PA trip & fuel costs

Tony & Jackie kimmell at verizon.net
Tue Jun 5 20:05:03 PDT 2007

I remember in 1999-2000 gas around here was in the neighborhood of
$1.00 per gallon.  Gas is now over three times that price.  I hardly
think the number of cars on the road nor amount of gas consumed has
TRIPLED in the last 7 years.  I'd also like to know why gas goes up
in 10-20 cent jumps, but never drops more than 1-2 cents at
once.  Fluctuations should go both ways, should they not?

One thing that Europe and the rest of the world has that the USA
doesn't is an abundance of diesel cars.  The liberal tree hugging
idiots have done a good job of keeping them out of here (along with
some people's misconceptions that all diesels are like the Olds 350
diesel of the late 70's).  VW and Mercedes quit selling diesels in
the US a few years ago.  Related to the ultra low sulphur diesel fuel
changeover and the fact that they couldn't pass the EPA emissions,
blah-blah-blah... (insert liberal BS excuse here).  Fact is, diesels
get better mileage, last longer, and can run on a more diverse
mixture of different fuels than a gas engine.  And around here,
diesel is about 50 cents cheaper per gallon than gas (should be ALOT
cheaper since it's just a refinery by-product, but whatever).

I run my VW Jetta diesel on used motor oil (or used cooking oil) and
get 43 MPG.

-Tony