[SEL] OT PA trip & fuel costs

Tom Smith tsmith at hal-pc.org
Wed Jun 6 04:31:22 PDT 2007

"The BIG question is, why did the price
remain flat over a twenty year period? If your number is correct,
then the price of gasoline, when adjusted to the consumer price
index, actually DROPPED 56%. How many other commodities decreased in
cost by more than half?"

Accurate observation Rob but not exactly what people suffering from
high energy costs want to hear.

I know from personal experience that the longer we draw from a
non-renewable the less there is and the harder it is to find what's
left. The easy reserves are found and developed first and what's left
is deeper in the earth, deeper water, tighter rock etc all costing
significantly more to develope technology that wasn't around 10 or
even 5 years ago. We are producing reserves from shale that a few
years ago we just drilled through to get to the good stuff, but it
ain't cheap.