[SEL] SEL Digest, Vol 39, Issue 4

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Jun 4 13:36:45 PDT 2007

At 06:00 PM 04/06/2007, you wrote:
>Message: 6
>Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 08:55:25 +0800
>From: Jack Watson <nadejack at optusnet.com.au>
>Subject: [SEL]  The Dying Maytag (Part 3 of 4)
>
>"Little Jim" - The Restorer's's Dying Maytag - by JW?
>                  (with apologies to Edward Farmer)
>
>Part 3 of 4
>

>He thought that Jim was dying.
>This thing he loved so dear
>Had uttered these last words
>That he might ever hope to hear.
>
>The workshop door was opened,
>The scrapman's steps were heard,
>The owner and the scrapman met -
>Yet neither spoke a word.
>
>He knew that all was over;
>He knew his 'Tag was dead.
>He took the money in his hand
>And walked out of the shed.
>
>His quivering lips gave token
>Of grief he failed to conceal
>To see his wife had joined him
>So the stricken couple kneel.
>
>With hearts burdened down with sadness
>She humbly asks, with him
>In Heaven once more to meet again
>Their own poor little Jim.
>=====
>Dear Reader, please do not dispair. There WILL be a happy ending . . .
>JW?

With apologies to The author and all concerned.

Turn'd out, T'was not the scrapman after all,
But a whiskered old professor,
by the name of Rotigall, (poetic licence invoked)
Who took 'lil Jim,
And on the SEL Auction did place him.

Furious bidding for Jim resulted,
But his new master never faulted.
And now, to South Africa, he's on his way
Where for ever he will stay.

Jim'll occupy his own place of pride,
Amongst those who ne'er died.
Travelling from show to show,
To be respected by those who know.

His fate was almost sealed.
Had not his sentence been appealed,
'Cos it was only a matter of time
afore an axe had stilled his rhyme.

Jim, his name will stay,
The beloved little stray,
The only Maytag ever before
To grace our beautiful shore.

         For those who do not know - I bought the Maytag that Dave put on
the Charity Auction in December and am awaiting delivery from our Postal
Service. It left the USA about 6 weeks ago so it is now only a matter of
time (Africa time) before it arrives.
         I give all my engines names so in honour of this verse I'm going
to call my Maytag
"Little Jim" - thanks to you Jack Watson.
( The above verse compiled, composed or just "plain thought of" by Jerry
Evans and his daughter, Jacqui with a fair amount of help from a bottle of
brandy, some Coke and a few beers.)

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Intntl.: +2716 365-5787
Cell: 083 293 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans