[SEL] O.T. Car Battery fix ??

Elden DuRand edurand at cybertron.com
Sat Jan 13 09:49:02 PST 2007

Jerry:

You -may- be able to get the battery to take a decent charge by equalizing the cells.  Do this by hitting it really hard with a quick charger.  You'll need to put about 15 Volts on it until all the cells start gassing (bubbles coming from the plates).

After all the cells start gassing, go back to a constant current charge (like from an el-cheapo "trickle" charger) at 10 Amps or so for about ten hours.  See if that helps.  If the capacity has risen but is not to par yet, you could try doing it again.

Be careful of the gas that is liberated by this kind of charging.  You could have an uplifting experience!

Take care - Elden
edurand at iglou.com
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand