[SEL] Portland Set Up Reconsidered

Jim French fbi at insulate.co.uk
Mon Feb 5 12:23:08 PST 2007

Reg's comment about the lack of visitors to the remote engine area was
something we really noticed - it was deserted most of the time!  Possibly
because  it was so far from all the food and drink stands?????
Also, it was not well signed, and with a big sprawling area such as the
Portland showground, it would be easy to miss that area of engines
altogether.  Certainly, it was a long way to go when someone said "Hey did
you see THAT engine?"
I noticed when we were last there, in 2004, that very few of the engines in
the far area were running, and many did not have their owners with them -
maybe they'd gone to get food / see the rest of the engines, which would
take a lot longer than if the engines were all in the same area.
As everyone else has noted, the tractor owners generally don't stay with
their exhibits and are not available to talk to visitors, with the notable
exception of the owners of the John Deere, running on Coke bottles!!!!
In 2004, we were talking to Leroy about the lack of visitors in the far
area, and he was keeping count, so his comments and figures would be well
worth passing on to the Portland Directors.
It's good that they are prepared to listen to the comments of exhibitors and
are willing to make changes to improve the show.

Dolly & Jim