[SEL] Life happens!!

Dave Otto ddotto at cableone.net
Thu Dec 20 18:52:35 PST 2007

Hi Joe

I just went through this with my vintage Lawn Boy Mower; they wanted $75.00
for a new engine brake cable; I don't think so.

The sheath was ok so I ordered some bulk cable form McMaster Carr (it was an
odd size not available in town) and made a new cable assembly using the old
sheath.

One end of the cable had a ball. What I did was turn up an aluminum sleeve
in he lathe and squish it on with my buddy's Nicopress tool.

I used it several more times this season and it worked great. Lowes has the
Nicopres tool and sleeves if you have one near by.

The sleeves you can buy are the double type for making a loop on the end of
a cable. That is why I made a single sleeve to replace the ball.

Good Luck

Dave

Dave Otto
Boise, Idaho