[SEL] Widowmaker

MaytagTwin at aol.com MaytagTwin at aol.com
Thu Dec 13 10:28:08 PST 2007

Hi Chuck,
I saw one sell at a farm auction a few years back.  The seller had only one
leg.  The other had been removed by a saw like this.  He told me he was cutting
brush with the sawblade while on a slope and the machine snagged instead of
cut the brush, rotated and cut off one of his legs.  His grandson was with him
and saved his life by tying off the stump with a belt.  He made no mention of
being wasted, just stupid.
I think the message is to not use sawblades on brush.  If he had had a
Gravely, and been seated on a sulky behind it, the Gravely can't turn 180 degrees
and he would have been safe.  Of course, if he had had a Gravely, he would have
been using the bush hog and been finished and home by lunch time.

Ron

In a message dated 12/13/2007 1:18:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kerogas at sbcglobal.net writes:

> Not over-keen on the private listing, that would have me running in
> the opposite direction pretty quickly!

I 've got a pair of those , one like that in the auction with a bunch of A
belts
and the other has a flexible shaft as big as my forearm like a monster sized
speedo cable .
Both tilt from horizontal to vertical . .It seems dangerous at first , but
you'd have to be
really wasted to get wrapped up in it .

Chuck Balyeat
http://royalcrossfarm.com/essentials.htm