[SEL] Need Used Vertical Metal Bandsaw

Alan Bowen rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 06:39:20 PDT 2007

Yup, Peter,
My saw has a pretty good sized toggle switch.
You do have a point about cutting circles.
If you want to stop it the cut you need to shut the saw down before you remove the piece.
Maybe a foot switch would be a good idea. During my last job I rebuilt a couple foot switches that were for pipe threading machines.  It wouldn't be too hard to make one.

Attaching the table to the lower guide and installing a couple support arms with the guide raised a bit on my saw will allow the upper guide to get very close to the table.

Alan Bowen

peter ogborne <jopeter at omninet.net.au> wrote: Alan if we are talking about one of those Asian bandsaws that converts from
horizontal to vertical I would take issue with your idea of taking the work
away from the blade and then switching off . In the event of cutting a
circle or something other than a straight line it is sometimes difficult to
remove the work piece whilst the machine is on.More often than not you will
dislodge the blade from the pulley.In an emergency I would prefer to have
the work piece securely held with two hands whilst I knocked the switch with
my knee. If we are talking about the same sort of machine you can not get
the table closer  than approx 4 inches to the upper guides , not the best
idea with all that unguarded blade.An extension from the bottom guide for
the table gets you much closer to the upper guide....makes for more precise
and safer cutting.
Paul........if you are interested in these simple mods I can send you pics.