[SEL] Removing stuck piston help please

Kelley Garcia kgarcia at rustyiron.com
Sat Aug 11 07:32:49 PDT 2007

Pete,
Pumping grease thru the spark plug hole worked for us on both the Victory
and the Allan Bros.    A recommendation - remove the head and fill the
cavity with as much solid material as possible.  We used blocks of wood.
This will take up empty space so you don't need as much grease.  On the AB,
we couldn't do that 'cause it was headless - clean-up really sucked.
You may need 2 grease guns and a buddy.  On the AB, I filled as Rob pumped,
never giving it time to lose pressure by oozing past the rings.
One last thing - we had tried running hot water in the water jacket early on
in hopes that it would help free the piston.  We never drained out the
water.  When we were pumping grease, I noticed the water level rise up
inside a ~1" fitting.   Talk about scaring the sh...crap out of us!  We both
thought we either had a crack or cracked the cylinder while pumping grease.
Then we heard a 'poop' (not a pop, a poop) and saw that the piston moved
~3/16".  It did this the whole way out as we used the grease gun trick.

Pics here:
http://engines.rustyiron.com/piston/index.html

Have fun,

--