[SEL] test...now 33...OT

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Tue Apr 17 07:21:36 PDT 2007

Peter:

The massacre of yesterday wouldn't have been nearly as bad had a few of those students or porfessors been carrying.  Someone would have taken the crazy out early on.

I do believe someone should be required to pass a background check before (legally) buying a handgun as is the case in most states.  Also, if you want to legally carry concealed, you have to go through a course in shooting safety and prove that you can hit the side of a barn before you can get a permit.

Statistics prove that an armed populace (within reason) has less crime.  If the criminals know that you could have a weapon and could use it against them, they're much less liable to do the deed.

As for the perp of yesterday, it is nearly impossible to stop someone who's deranged and wants to kill a bunch of people in a suicide attack.  Take away guns and the person will use a knife, a bomb, a vehicle, fire or any number of other deadly weapons to do the deed.  The best defense is to take 'em out before the damage gets worse.

Now, I don't think there'll be wholesale killing in the streets because people can be prosecuted for shooting before thinking about the consequences of a bad decision.

Take care - Elden DuRand
edurand at mchsi.com
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand