[SEL] Another tool

Peter Lowe plowe at exemail.com.au
Mon Apr 2 05:30:39 PDT 2007

The tool Dave was showing us is for gas lamps back in the late 1800's early
1900's.
The tapered tap is for the thread that the lamp screws into. The lamp has a
tapered thread that matches the hole, you screw the lamp into the taper
until it is tight.. The tap is for cleaning out the threads.
The tapered square part of the tool is used for reaming out that threaded
hole if thread stuffs up, in the early days they called them "rimers"
pronounced the same way as reamer.
The screw driver part is for turning off the gas.
Great old tools, pity they can't talk.

Regards
Peter Lowe
R&V Engine Registrar