[SEL] V12 GMC electrical question

bill at antique-engines.com bill at antique-engines.com
Wed Sep 6 05:13:26 PDT 2006

Ballast resister, usually ceramic, although some have used a resistance wire.
Function is to reduce current flowing through coil during normal
operations. The coil won't handle the full 12v full-time.
Yes, they can get VERY hot, thus the ceramic, however, I wonder about one
resister taking care of two coils. Sounds like a bit much load.
Mopar used ceramic resisters, as did certain other companies.
My Javelin had a grp 19 Mallary coil and it required such a ballast
resister and came as part of the kit. Otherwise, the stock ignition used a
resistance wire made into the wiring harness.
Personally, I'd have one resister per coil - they will run way too hot to
touch, but sounds like a lot of current going through that one with two
coils.

Bill