[SEL] V12 GMC electrical question

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 23:44:55 PDT 2006

On 06/09/06, Bill Boyce <bboyce at swat.coop> wrote:
> hello all,,,  we're almost done with the V12 Jimmy,,, trying to get it
> finished for a show this weekend,,, we've fired it on prime, but only
> received the carbs today, so thats on tomorrows list,,, my question concerns
> the old style ceramic resistor/resistors for the coils,, it has 2
> distributors and 2 coils,, when we got it, there was only one resistor wired
> for both coils,,, i;m not sure what the resistor does, or if one or two are
> required,,, when the ignition is on, the element in the one resistor becomes
> very hot, hot enough to turn it a dull red, does this sound like its too hot
> ? is the correct wiring for the resistor/resistors  between the  + terminal
> on the coil and battery voltage ? what is the function of the resistor ?
> any help will be appreciated,,
> bill boyce
> lost prairie, arkansas

It's probably a cold-starting resistor that is shorted out during
starting to give a higher voltage to the coil, then put back in
circuit when the engine is running. Should be one per coil and it
should not run red hot!

The coils can be replaced by modern 12V types (the existing ones  are
probably rated for 9V or even 6V) and the resistors discarded.

When the engine is stopped and the points closed you will feed current
continuously through the coils and resistor.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com