[SEL] Canandaigua Pageant of Steam, Steam in NY

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Sat Oct 21 14:22:35 PDT 2006

Hi Frank and all;
     I'm pretty much a stationary steam engine type, but we have a traction
engine owner in our group here in Camillus, plus we operate a small portable
we picked up in Ohio. I can't speak for everyone, but here is a bit on our
experiences in New York. The NYS inspectors want no part of any lapseam
boiler, and are pretty skittish about rivets in general. The Ohio engine had
a small verticle fire tube boiler, lapseam, rivets, real nice looking. It
was a little thin around the handholes, they would only allow 45 lbs..
Fortunately, it's small enough to make a new welded boiler for without
breaking the bank, and that's what we did. One of our members brought a
Frick 12 HP into the state from the midwest. It has a buttstrap boiler with
a bad firebox. They don't even want to talk about it as it has no stamp and
there are no papers. Our Cleaver Brooks 100 package boiler had a very rusted
tag, and we did not know the history of ownership. Even though that's a
welded boiler, they said no way will it pass without re-certification from
the manufacturer. We had the New York State number right on the thing, it
had been in New York State all of it's history, but they could not seem to
find the papers. We worked on the stampings to bring them out, and
fortunately we found the stamp, and we researched the ownership and found
out who had bought it new in 1958. With this info they came back out and we
were good to go. The word is that the State has a goal of eliminating
riveted boilers asap, and anything iffy is a no-go. Although the inspectors
have some "discretionary"  latitude, the general atmosphere is pretty
strict. I can't say that they are unreasonable, just strict. I have heard
some stories of lapseam boilers being "de-rated" 5 lbs per year in some
cases, but haven't been able to verify this. The inspectors we see are
interested in steam, friendly, courteous, and generally pretty
knowledgeable, but are quick to make the point that a historical boiler is
just as dangerous as any other boiler, and deserves no "special"
consideration. We are hearing all too often of engines that "didn't make it
this year" due to condemned boilers. That's a tough pill to swallow for an
owner, but an accident would still be worse. Canandaigua has re-boilered one
of their traction engines, a significant investment, and the "right thing to
do" for an engine that's around the public a lot. In short, to own a tracton
engine in New York State, it better be in good shape and well documented, or
you'll need to be able to cough up the dough for a new boiler if you want to
run in public.
Jim Mackessy