[SEL] Canandaigua Pageant of Steam, Steam in NY

Joseph L Betz jlb94 at juno.com
Sat Oct 21 12:27:11 PDT 2006

Hi Frank,
I didn't see anyone responding so I'll put in my 2 cents.

I once belonged to the Tri-State Historical Steam Engine Association Inc.
which is now
defunked because of a Steam Traction Engine explosion in Madina, OH in
2001.

It all started when I first went to a show and "caught the bug".  Then I
wanted "Hands On"
on the Traction Engines.  Our show conducted a school and certified all
operators.
I operated several engines at the shows for about 5 years.
I almost bought a 1923 (or 1926) 12 Ton Buffalo Springfield Roller but
decided against it.
No where to put it - No way to haul it.  And the only time I could play
with it was at the shows.

Nothing to owning one.  Just put up about $10,000 and make sure it's
inspected every year
by the proper boiler inspectors (If you intend to run it in public).
The maintenance consists of cleaning out the Hand Holes, boiler tubes,
making sure all your plumbing is in good shape, checking the tri-cocks
and other valves,
making sure your oilers are working, making sure the pop-off valve works,
and
be sure the Fuse Plug in the crown sheet is good.
Maintenance is, pretty much, routine.

Mostly - Where are you going to store it and how are you going to haul it
???

I would not buy one blindly.  I would make sure I "know" the engine and
know of it's
condition and maintenance history.
I would suggest joining a club that holds Steam Shows, get involved, get
"Hands On" and,
next thing you know, you own one.

If you buy one that "needs work", I would make sure I was in the "Circle"
and able
to get (make) parts.

Any specific questions?  I'll try to answer.

Joe "Pip" Betz said that.
jlb94 at juno.com - - - www.oldengine.org/members/betz
 ,-._,-.      http://community.webshots.com/user/pipbetz
 \/)"(\/     Remember when TV bloopers were a rare mistake -
 (_o_)                   not the entire show?