[SEL] An engine tale from 1916/webshots

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Fri Nov 10 16:22:30 PST 2006

At 07:00 PM 10/11/2006, you wrote:
>Message: 7
>Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 20:57:32 -0000
>From: "Dave Croft" <dave.croft at ntlworld.com>

><very big snip>

>Hi Jerry, I hope it isn't too big for you but I have posted it at
>http://www.oldengine.org/members/croft/Engineers%20diary.jpg
>Dave Croft

Hi Dave,
         Thanks for going to the trouble - I got it and enjoyed it. 300
H.P. and 250 H.P. in 1916 must have been something to behold.
         In the meantime I had help and advice from Larry Evans and can now
also get it off webshots  but it is still slower than a non advertising
supported site.
         Dolly also gave me some advice a week or 2 ago and I went and had
a look at the Firefox plugins page. I found an ad blocker there which
installed very quickly and easily and does seem to help a bit with speed
but I still cannot stand Webshots :-)
         As a point of interest Webshots shows up completely differently in
Firefox to what it looks like in Netscape or IE. The main thing is that the
small row of Icons at the bottom of the pic does not show at all in Firefox
(mine at least) and this has probably been one of my main problems. Larry
mentioned that he clicked on the magnifier to show the image full size
(which also breaks it out of the "Flash" thing) and could then right click
and "Save Image" so I looked around the page and found a text link in the
top right that does the same - thereafter the pic loads and I can see (and
save) it. In Netscape if I hover the pointer over one of these icons
(mouseover) a small text description of the icons purpose shows yet this
does not happen in IE unless I refresh the page. this may have to do with
the ads trying to load

         At the bottom of one of these posts from SEL (I get the digest so
it will be in the last 24 hours) I see someone in the States advertising
broadband from $13.33/month. This is about 1/4 of what my slow dialup
connection here in S.A. costs and then I still have the per minute rate to
pay to the Telkom.
I estimate that it costs me approximately ZAR 900.00 ($125.00 approx) for
the privilege of being able to access the Internet. Broadband will cost me
about 3 to 4 times as much.
         Our problem is that there is only 1 fixed line telephone provider
here and it is a monopoly (not only that but the government is the main
shareholder) and they charge what they like. Our telephone charges have
skyrocketed in the last 6 or 7 years for the simple reason that there has
been pressure on the government to allow a second fixed line operator so
the existing one has just pushed up prices to allow them to "improve" their
network at our cost. They agreed to allow a second operator about 5 or
6  years ago but the existing operator has been blocking and stalling them
with legal action and court cases and suchlike. A second operator has now
been named but it will still take them years to roll out their network and
it will only start in the bigger centres so may take a very long time to
reach us out here in the country.
         I've been connecting to the internet since 1991 when it was still
just bulletin boards and a 14.4 Kbps modem on an XT. IE was not even around
yet and spam was something that you ate from a tin. A local call cost about
29c (thats 4c US at todays rates) irrespective of how long you were
connected. Since then I (and all South Africans) have had to endure
skyrocketing prices and a service that has been getting worse and worse.
         So please forgive me if I sometimes get cranky about internet
connections. It's probably aimed at our rip off telephone company.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787
Cell: 083 293 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans

---