[SEL] Piston clearance

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Wed May 24 18:16:34 PDT 2006

Arnie and Grant,
    I don't know what the proper "engineered" dimension should be but I
always use the rule of 1/1000th clearance per inch of bore. So, my
piston would be .00675 undersize.  Its always worked for me but I don't
know how close it would be to what the "book" says.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY

>Hi Grant,
>
>I don't have that clearance handy (but others will).  Have you checked how
>much "meat" you'll have left at the bottom of the ring grooves after you
>turn down the piston and re-cut the ring grooves?
>
>See ya,  Arnie
>
>On Wed, 24 May 2006, Grant Weir wrote:
>

>>I've sleeved my 29' John Deere D and left the bore slightly undersize of the
>>stock 6-3/4" size so that I can turn my worn out pistons down to fit.  I
>>think it will work.

--------------050006000106000401030805

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Arnie and Grant,<br>
    I don't know what the proper "engineered" dimension should be but I
always use the rule of 1/1000th clearance per inch of bore. So, my
piston would be .00675 undersize.  Its always worked for me but I don't
know how close it would be to what the "book" says.<br>
Tommy Turner<br>
Magnolia, KY<br>
 cite="midPine.BSF.4.51.0605241623520.59223 at vegeta.city-net.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Hi Grant,

I don't have that clearance handy (but others will).  Have you checked how
much "meat" you'll have left at the bottom of the ring grooves after you
turn down the piston and re-cut the ring grooves?

See ya,  Arnie

    <pre wrap="">I've sleeved my 29' John Deere D and left the bore slightly undersize of the
stock 6-3/4" size so that I can turn my worn out pistons down to fit.  I
think it will work.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->