[SEL] Piston clearance

Grant Weir weirgrant at hotmail.com
Wed May 24 22:37:31 PDT 2006

I knew you guys would have the answer!  About a thou per inch of bore sounds
perfect to me - thats about 6 or 7 thou of clearance which is right between
my own guestimate of between 0.005 and 0.010.  Too little is what was
worrying me.

The sleeves came with a 6.705" bore so that they would clean up to 6.750
once pressed in.  I did not bore them once they were in, but only honed them
instead.  I used a 'real' bore hone - not one of those "deglazer" things -
so the bore is nice and round.  The new hole size is 6.720 which leaves me
about 0.010-0.015 to take off the pistons for a primo fit.  I don't think
thats enough to worry about breaking through or weakening materials etc.
The ring grooves are rather worn as well so I've got to widen and probably
deepen them some too.  Happily I have all new rings.

When I pulled this engine apart I was totally amazed by how badly the bore
was worn.  I could actually look down past the piston and see the first
ring!  Just for fun I checked and it was almost 0.10" of clearance - wow.
The fellow I bought it from claimed that it ran when he parked it (30 years
ago...), but it was getting "...damn hard to start."  No doubt!

I guess if it ran with a hundred thou of piston clearance, anything more
than 0.007 should be just fine. :-)

Sorry to ramble on...  Thanks for the info gang!

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada