[SEL] Piston clearance

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Wed May 24 17:23:48 PDT 2006

> I've sleeved my 29' John Deere D and left the bore slightly undersize of the
> stock 6-3/4" size so that I can turn my worn out pistons down to fit.  I
> think it will work.
>
> Anyway, I need the list's expert advise on how much piston-to-cylinder
> clearance I need to leave.  If not the actual JD service numbers then
> possibly some general clearance ideas?   Anyone?
>

> Grant Weir
> Saskatoon, SK.
> Canada

.001" per inch of bore for cast iron pistons, you can stay on the tight side if the engine isn't going right into heavy service. I usually leave the bore .005 under and clean up the piston. No problem with rings on this small amount. The bore is usually a standard dimension, 4",  4 3/8", whatever. The piston  will usually measure under.
J.B. Castagnos
Belle Rose, LA