[SEL] Belt power question

Missy Holland mholland at rustyiron.com
Fri Mar 24 17:56:54 PST 2006

Bill,
It's 746 watts to the horsepower. Your car alternator is putting out:

65 Amp * 12v = 780 watts.
780/746 = 1.05 Hp

As to the belts, one to three horsepower to the belt, but you can get a
Gates catolog and it will walk you through the steps to calculate
horsepower transmission capacity for sheave size and rpm.

Missy Holland