[SEL] Belt power question

Bill Dickerson bill at antique-engines.com
Fri Mar 24 16:19:49 PST 2006

I'm wanting to create some displays to run with engines.
Question - how much horsepower can be transmitted by a belt say the size of
an old fan belt from a car, or an A/C belt.
I have a LOT of old belts I've collected over the years. I've used them for
small things like squirrel cage fans and such powered by my engines, but I
was wondering, if I get more serious, how much HP can a "fan belt" actually
transmit?
Heck, how much HP does a car fan take? Can't be much.... And an alternator
cranking out 65 amps is drawing what, a bit over 1 hp?

Bill
Runnells, Iowa USA...........