[SEL] now tractor pull picture

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Thu Jun 22 11:58:30 PDT 2006

At 06:00 PM 22/06/2006, you wrote:

>From: "Luke Tonneberger" <flywheelin at hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: [SEL] Re: Please help identify this engine / now tractor
>         pull    picture
>To: sel at lists.stationary-engine.com
>
>Is it just me or does the front end of this tractor look dangerously high?
>
>http://www.oldengine.org/members/pitts/mbf/images/DSC00943.JPG
>
>Luke Tonneberger
>Rockford, Michigan
>USA

Hi Luke,
         We don't have tractor pull competitions here but this reminds me
of when I was younger and stupider (some people would say it was the other
way around). I tried to pull a stuck truck out of loose sand with my Massey
Ferguson 35 using a cable.  I just hooked the cable into the tractors top
link (it was the most accessible spot) and put her into extra low and
started pulling. Before you could say "Stupid Fool" the front wheels were
higher than my head. I hit the clutch but it would not release - in
desperation I managed to bang the gear lever hard enough to disengage and
the tractor fell back to earth - the front wheels bounced a few times but
fortunately nothing broke.
         Since then I ONLY ever hitch a cable to the casting below the
front wheels and run it out below the rear axle to the item being towed.
Much safer.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
Tel. (016) 365-5787 or 083 283 7191
Visit our website for old engines in South Africa.
www.oldengine.org/members/evans

---