[SEL] blasting cabinet question - OT sort of

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Thu Jun 8 05:12:42 PDT 2006

Bill, I bought one of the Northern Hydraulics units a couple of years ago,
$200 or so, maybe less, and a few buckets of blasting beads.

I have been pleased with the results, it quickly cleans up parts and tools.
Yeah, it's kind of a dog in other ways:
	- don't place it next to anything you don't want sand in.  I started
out next to my drill press but sure didn't leave it there.  The cabinet top
just isn't all that tight.
	- it came with a stick-on sheet to kind of protect the main lid from
damage but I didn’t see any replacement sheets around.  Eventually (not too
long, actually) the sheet was roughed up enough I peeled it off one evening
so I could see what I was doing.  Now the Plexiglas lid is pretty cloudy,
I'll need to cut another one of these days.
	- you have to add a light to the cabinet.  Good idea that somebody
posted about painting the inside white, too.
	- sometimes it doesn't suck sand real well and needs to be fiddled
with.

I have not gotten beyond the glass beads, although the current fill of
material is pretty well used up and needs to be thrown away.  My main
interest was in cleaning up aluminum, like magneto cases, so I didn't want
the more aggressive sand.  They look really great when I get done.

So I'd say, "Go for it."   It's got its weak spots, but at the price it
seems a good education so I'll know what I want when I grow up and buy a
real one.

B²

Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.