[SEL] 2 1/2 HP. IHC

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Sun Jun 4 22:33:11 PDT 2006

---- Jim O'Hagan <jdohagan at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,I need some help .I'm working a 2&1/2 horse Famous that needs to be
> sleeved. The original bore is 4" x11".Does any one know of a source for a
> thin wall cast sleeve? Another alternative would be a useable
> cylinder/hopper. I guess a shorter sleeve would work as long as the rings
> didn't go past the end of the sleeve. Any one have success trying that .The
> indexing of the boring bar would have to be right on. Thanks for any
> information or ideas. Jimmy O'Hagan, Novato, Ca.  415 892 0236

Jimmy, I use a 4" sleeve, I think it's 10.5". On longer bores I have stopped short of the bottom if the bore is good down there. I made a fixture to hold a dial indicator on the bottom of the boring bar. The bar is mounted on a plate  bolted to the cylinder with jack screws  on the overhanging portion. The bar can be centered and paralleled, and dialed in to the bottom of the cylinder. I have also added a spacer at the top, the piston never comes this far up, and when bored you can hardly tell it's there. I always leave a lip at the bottom, the sleeve stops against it and the head holds the top. I have some 3/32 X 4" sleeve sections I've saved if you want to add a piece. You're welcome to one.
J.B. Castagnos
Belle Rose, LA