[SEL] Re: SEL Digest, Vol 26, Issue 30

Richard Backus rbackus at ogdenpubs.com
Thu Jun 1 11:38:32 PDT 2006

Good points, Arnie. And when I said I think the hobby's peaked, in no way
did I meant to imply that it's run out of steam. Hardly, we all know that's
not true. I was simply trying to underscore my feeling that, compared to 10
years ago, the hobby is running a different course, and for many of the
reasons you've outlined.

Your points on the web are particularly relevant, because it has
fundamentally changed the landscape. It hasn't made magazines like GEM
irrelevant, but as you properly noted magazines like GEM, TOMM and SEM no
longer have the priority they once enjoyed, because information is now so
much more available. And that's a good thing, in my view, even if it makes
life a challenge in other ways.

And you're also on target guessing that GEM will evolve to include more
internally-generated material. That's a must, but even so, it won't happen
without the experienced input of readers, who are the lifeblood of any
title, suggesting topics, issues, etc. The small show reports as they
appeared in every issue in years back will certainly become a smaller part,
as they have already in the past few years.

Thanks for clearly articulating issues I didn't. Sheesh, maybe I should hire
you as our official mouthpiece!!
Regards,
Richard
--