[SEL] From a newsgroup: Lookin For: Crank for 1.5hp Economy

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Fri Jan 27 06:41:02 PST 2006

This week's discussion on crankhandles has been entertaining. Missy's 1
1/2HP Herc has a crank handle that is one of those open half C handles
that falls off the crank the moment you let up pressure on it. I hate
the darned thing and never use it. It lives in the hopper most of the
time. I could see how that thing could get launched back at you with a
backfire.
I have a much later 6HP Herc (1929) and its' crank is the solid loop
style that you slide over the end of the crankshaft and engage it on the
gib key. Once the engine starts you pull it back off the crankshaft
while the shaft spins within it. Generally I start this engine by
flipping it against compression and it starts great, EXCEPT when the
engine is hot. If you've been working this engine and stop it, you will
have no luck starting against compression again. The ONLY way to get it
to start again is to put the crank handle on it and wind it up and drop
the intake valve.
Sooo..... I'm curious, you guys that have been kissed with these flying
crank handles, have they been the open C style handles? Has anyone been
hurt by the other closed crank handle?
Curt Holland
Gastonia, NC