[SEL] From a newsgroup: ...cranking

John Culp johnculp at chartertn.net
Wed Jan 25 16:57:53 PST 2006

That gripping with all digits on one side only works when you're giving
just a quick upward pull on a crank, as you did with a Model T. If
you've got to crank to spin up a heavy set of flywheels, you'll lose
your grip on the crank and are more likely to smack yourself. Heavy
flywheels won't allow a fast enough back-kick to endanger the thumb.

John

On Jan 25, 2006, at 6:41 PM, peter ogborne wrote:

> OK you old timers.......cranking . The natural urge is to wrap your
> whole hand around the crank handle,i.e. the thumb on one side and the
> remaining fingers [ I still have four] on the otherside. When it kicks
> ,it puts that thumb in danger . Cranking with all four fingers and
> thumb on one side of the handle just does not feel as
> comfortable...........your thoughts?

John Culp
Bristol, Tennessee, USA