[SEL] From a newsgroup: ...cranking

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Thu Jan 26 13:34:05 PST 2006

Hi John and Peter,

That is EXACTLY my experience as well.  I only have one engine (8 hp
two-cylinder Novo Rollr) that uses the "upward quarter turn" cranking
method.  I tuck the thumb in with the fingers just because...  I don't
have any sense at all that the thumb would be in danger cranking that
engine.  It does have an impulse mag.  I should also mention that when I
first got it, I didn't realize that the "proper cranking method" was that
quarter turn.  So I was trying to "crank it over."  The crank slipped out,
and my fingers smashed into the steel cart frame helped along by the mass
of the crank.  Four fingers were sore and deep purple for weeks.

The other engines that I use a crank on get a full grip.  The ONLY time I
ever had any problem was on the 7 hp Crossley (Fat Bastard) the one time I
tried cranking it without using my "opposed thumb."

We evolved the damn thing for a reason.  Getting a good grip on your
crank!!  8->>

See ya,  Arnie

Arnie Fero
Pittsburgh, PA