[SEL] Economy runs

Alan Bowen rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 18:13:01 PST 2006

Hi Ron,

  Congrats on getting it running.
  When I fired up my 1928, 1-1/2hp Hercules S a couple three years ago it was a fast runner.  I pulled the stiff spring out of the Governor and put a much lighter one in.

  Now I fire it up on the fast setting and after a couple minutes I can move it to the medium setting.  I have to let it run for about a half hour before I can put it to the lowest setting.

  I might be done playing with slowing it down though after belting it up to my two hole corn sheller. I am even considering looking for a slightly stiffer spring to put in the Governor. Not as stiff as the one that was in there though.  As it is now I can stop the engine if I feed both sides fast.

  The sheller I am using is a very cool older one with the shaker screen under it.  I really wish I had got a picture of it working.

  Alan Bowen

rdhaskell at juno.com wrote:

Hi all. (This has been bouncing since Saturday, I'll try again)

With a big thanks to Glenn, Keith, Rick, Tom and all, I got the Economy
running on the mag and ignitor today. First I had to lengthen the detent
blade ½", then set the valve timing, and ignition timing. Cranked her
over a couple of time and off it went. I am not happy with the speed
control, the fast adjustment is ok but one notch slower is all it will
move, won't go to the slowest notch. More adjustment tomorrow. Life is
good.

Ron Haskell
rdhaskell at juno.com
Riverside, California