[SEL] Sheet metal work

Dave Rotigel rotigel at alltel.net
Thu Jan 12 12:33:32 PST 2006

At 08:36 AM 1/12/2006, you wrote:
>First, I will apologize for asking a tractor question on the SEL.  I
>bought an Oliver 70 which is pretty complete in the sheet metal
>department.  The tin is also pretty straight but is quite pitted.  Now
>Olivers are my favorite tractor in terms of looks because they are so
>smooth.  The streamlined look was definitely in when these machines were
>designed.  With pitted sheet metal the smooth look is in trouble.  I have
>read, on the SEL, about products that you use to slick up rough cast
>surfaces.  what are the names of some of these products and are they
>suitable for sheet metal use?
>What kind of surface prep is needed before application?

Hi Andy,
         The product that you want is Icing. It's a Polyester Finishing
Putty marketed by USC. Like BONDO it's a two part mixture. Unlike BONDO it
is ready to sand in 15 minutes (you only have about 5 minutes working time)
and it sands VERY easily. It's also a LOT smoother than BONDO. You can put
the stuff on up to 1/4" thick and it is (to some extent) flexible. Sand the
tin and prime the metal prior to applying the Icing. If there remains LOTS
of rust in the deeper pits you might consider using Extend (or some similar
rust treatment) prior to the priming. the only place that I would not use
Icing is where there will be extreme heat (as on a heat near an exhaust
valve for instance.)
         Dave
PS, Icing comes in a 24 oz. tube and costs about $20.00. One tube (two at
the most) will more than do your Oliver tin! You can buy Icing at any good
auto paint store--hell they even carry it at several "cut-rate" auto supply
stores here in PA!