[SEL] Sheet metal work

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Jan 12 13:37:34 PST 2006

First DON'T Sandblast it unless you can use a very low pressure blaster.
It will turn that smooth metal into the ocean. Soda blast or even walnut
shells will do the job and save the steel. Once blasted clean prime it
with a two part primer such as some Sherwin Williams Polane Spray Fil
primer, it is basically a very high solids primer that will fill the
pits and allow you to sand the steel smooth after one coat.

http://www2.sherwin.com/chemicalCoatings/productPrimerPlastic.asp#Sprayfil
Link is from the plastics page but it is usable on most surfaces. The
2.8 is the stuff you can buy for homeowner use. It is low VOC and works
just as well as the original except on some plastics that need more
solvent activity.

Steve Williams