[SEL] Re: Alamo piston pattern update

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Tue Feb 14 11:26:35 PST 2006

Dave,
Your work on both the pattern and corebox looks great! I am looking
forward to seeing how the paper splits on the pattern. I've spot glued
mine but have contemplated the paper method.
I believe Rick is busier than a 1 armed wallpaper hanger right now and
it you want to speed things along, anything you do will help you get
your part quicker. The design is fairly straight forward from what I've
been able to research. The riser's purpose is to provide molten metal to
the casting as it cools and the metal shrinks. On your piston for
example, you want to bring metal in at the crown. Once filled the
casting should begin to solidify from the skirt moving toward the crown.
The riser is attached to the largest section thickness thru a short
gate. The gate and riser need to be sized such that they will freeze off
last. This ensures molten metal can continue to flow into the crown as
the rest of the piston cools and shrinks.
Risers are round to minimize surface area. (and also drafted for removal
when ramming the pattern)  The books tell you the riser's bottom
diameter should be 125 to 150% of the thickest cross section. However,
I'm making mine 175% based on the advice of an old timer pattern maker.
On my pattern the OD is 6" and the crown is 1" in thickness. The gate is
3/4" long and is 1" x 1" in crosssection, half being in the cope side
and half being in the drag side. The riser on the cope side is 1 3/4"
diameter at the parting board. It drafts 1/4"/ft and is 5" tall. The
cope flask is 5" tall so the riser will be open once rammed. The runner
from the sprue down button over to the riser is 3/4" x 1".
Looking at the Falk drawings of your piston and core there is .570
section thickness in the crown. 1.75 x this is .99 so I would make your
riser an inch or maybe even 1 1/4" at the bottom. You can make the short
gate 1 x 1 or maybe even 3/4 x 3/4. But bigger is better. For one off
parts you really don't care about the waste material in the gate/riser
system. You just want to make sure there is enough mass there to assure
they freeze off last.
Great photo documentation of your project and thanks for posting.
Curt
P.S. You asked about Alamo pictures....
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Guess/1.jpg>
<http://www.oldengine.org/members/holland/images/Guess/2.jpg>