[SEL] RE: Plating pistons oversize

Ron Frost, Kersey, PA ron217_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 13:29:02 PST 2006

I worked for a air compressor service group for many years and have flame sprayed cast iron pistons up to 3 feed in dia. Never had a problem with them .  Some are in compressors and others are in vacuum pumps The piston will have to be put into a lathe and the areas where the deposit will be is roughed up with a tool . This allows the sprayed metal to adhere better to the CI. Then of course turned again to the final diameter. These machines are working for a living and the engines we have are just playing. When you first start it after rebuilding, turn the lubricator way up so it get lots of oil just as you would if you were only replacing rings. This washes out the small particals of iron from the cylinder and rings and in this case also the machines metal spray areas.
  Ron

Andy Glines <andyglines at hotmail.com> wrote:

> 17. Re: Plating pistons oversize (Richard Strobel)
>
>Message: 17
>Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:01:31 -0700
>From: "Richard Strobel"
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Plating pistons oversize
>To: "The SEL email discussion list"
>
>Tom, I knew they flux welded cranks and camshafts but not pistons. I will
>have to give the guy that straightened the crank on my Galloway a call. He
>gave me a tour through his crankshaft repair shop and showed me the flux
>welder.

> Rick
Rick, It sounds like you are confusing Submerged-Arc (sub-arc) welding with
spray welding. I sub-arc the workpiece is covered by granular flux and the
welding in done below the surface of the flux. You usually can't see the
arc in sub-arc welding. Sub-arc is used to deposit large amounts of filler
metal quickly and its primary use is in large weldments. Spray welding
actually sprays droplets of molten metal onto the workpiece thus building up
the surface. If you can't find oversized pistons then spray welding will be
a good idea.

Ron Frost
Kersey, PA
 http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4070123&a=30427007&f=0

  http://community.webshots.com/user/ron15846

" Collector of other peoples cultured merchandise "