[SEL] RE: Plating pistons oversize

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 22 13:02:57 PST 2006

>   17. Re: Plating pistons oversize (Richard Strobel)
>
>Message: 17
>Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:01:31 -0700
>From: "Richard Strobel" <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Plating pistons oversize
>To: "The SEL email discussion list" <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>Tom, I knew they flux welded cranks and camshafts but not pistons.  I will
>have to give the guy that straightened the crank on my Galloway a call.  He
>gave me a tour through his crankshaft repair shop and showed me the flux
>welder.

>   Rick
Rick,  It sounds like you are confusing Submerged-Arc (sub-arc) welding with
spray welding.  I sub-arc the workpiece is covered by granular flux and the
welding in done below the surface of the flux.  You usually can't see the
arc in sub-arc welding.  Sub-arc is used to deposit large amounts of filler
metal quickly and its primary use is in large weldments.  Spray welding
actually sprays droplets of molten metal onto the workpiece thus building up
the surface.  If you can't find oversized pistons then spray welding will be
a good idea.