[SEL] Help request for a winter project

MBellar at aol.com MBellar at aol.com
Thu Dec 7 09:22:20 PST 2006

In a message dated 12/4/2006 12:24:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Germoamer at aol.com writes:

Your  sleeve is small compared to a lot of engines that are sleeved and
therefore should not be too expensive.  However before doing this, I  would
get the
cylinder measured by a good machinist to see how much it is  worn.  After
that I
would first look at having the cylinder machined  true, and the piston
sprayed, machined to fit the new bore, and new rings  made.  This repair
should be
cheaper than having it sleeved, truing  up the piston to fit and then rings.
There should be lots of good  machine shops in your area to have this work
done.

Tom;  Thank you for your reply. I did not consider your thoughts  because the
cylinder is deeply rust pitted and badly out-of -round.  Additionally, the
piston has a crack in the skirt so I may have to replace it.  The JB weld filled
in the cylinder pits and partially corrected  the out-of-roundness, but with
regular metal rings there was no  compression. Subtitling rubber "O" rings
restored compression, but I think  that they pump too much oil into the
combustion chamber causing  igniter problems. I have not tried replacing the lower "O"
ring with a  metal ring perhaps that would allow most of the cylinder oil to
blow out  the back of the cylinder instead of being forced into the combustion
chamber. I  am hoping to hear from other List members on their resleeving
experiences  after the off topic hedge apple thread has ended.

Tom Bellar