[SEL] OT: Update, Border Bob

frappi at wcoil.com frappi at wcoil.com
Tue Aug 29 21:19:05 PDT 2006

Hi All, Christine and I have spent a pleasent day visiting the Bolhuises.
First stop was the hospital in St Thomas to see Bob. He was sleeping when
we entered the rooom so we looked over all the cards and gave Sheila the
get well cards-posters from Portland. About this time Bob woke up and
after a while he was looking over the cards and reading the names. We are
not really sure if he recognized any of the names. He seems to have
trouble recognizing names. But looking at someone he seems to recognize
them. In my case It took him a while to figure out my name but he did. He
didn't seem to recognize Christine at all. If he did he didn't speak her
name.
He still has no recollection of the accident. All he says is it seemed
like a perfectly normal day then. He is still very confused and has
problems putting the right words in a sentence. We covered several topics
briefly like the bike, then I told him about the trees along the 401 being
heavily infested with tent worms. Then shortly later he was telling about
how the tent worms were all over his bike. So he's confusing subjects too.
Any ways hes regaining the use of his right foot. He suprised us by gettin
up and going to the can. He shook off Sheilas arm. He was unsteady but he
made it. After a discussion with the nurses Sheila decided we could take
him for a walk with assistance, Someone holding his arm. He balked at
first but after we told him he could walk only if someone was arm in arm
with him he agreed. So out the door Bob and I went arm in arm. All the way
to the end of the hall, back to his room then to the other end of the
hall. He stopped at each end to look out the windows and see the
surroundings. He can still think on work out things. One window looked out
over towards another in the complex and he identified the style and
vintage of the building. But he was tuckered after the walk. By this time
it was his dinner time and Bob seems to have a voracious appetite. Sheila
says hes eating everything in sight.
So in a nutshell the news is improving, improving, improving.
He does not remember visitors nor telephone calls correctly or at all.
 All in all it was good seeing my buddy after the scare he gave us. We
will be with Sheila thru Wednesday am and visit Bob before we head back
south.
                TTYL,    Mark