[SEL] OT: Update, Border Bob

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Aug 30 20:44:20 PDT 2006

frappi at wcoil.com wrote:
> Hi All, Christine and I have spent a pleasent day visiting the Bolhuises.
> First stop was the hospital in St Thomas to see Bob. He was sleeping when
> we entered the rooom so we looked over all the cards and gave Sheila the
> get well cards-posters from Portland. About this time Bob woke up and
> after a while he was looking over the cards and reading the names. We are
> not really sure if he recognized any of the names. He seems to have
> trouble recognizing names. But looking at someone he seems to recognize
> them. In my case It took him a while to figure out my name but he did. He
> didn't seem to recognize Christine at all. If he did he didn't speak her
> name.
> He still has no recollection of the accident. All he says is it seemed
> like a perfectly normal day then. He is still very confused and has
> problems putting the right words in a sentence. We covered several topics
> briefly like the bike, then I told him about the trees along the 401 being
> heavily infested with tent worms. Then shortly later he was telling about
> how the tent worms were all over his bike. So he's confusing subjects too.
> Any ways hes regaining the use of his right foot. He suprised us by gettin
> up and going to the can. He shook off Sheilas arm. He was unsteady but he
> made it. After a discussion with the nurses Sheila decided we could take
> him for a walk with assistance, Someone holding his arm. He balked at
> first but after we told him he could walk only if someone was arm in arm
> with him he agreed. So out the door Bob and I went arm in arm. All the way
> to the end of the hall, back to his room then to the other end of the
> hall. He stopped at each end to look out the windows and see the
> surroundings. He can still think on work out things. One window looked out
> over towards another in the complex and he identified the style and
> vintage of the building. But he was tuckered after the walk. By this time
> it was his dinner time and Bob seems to have a voracious appetite. Sheila
> says hes eating everything in sight.
> So in a nutshell the news is improving, improving, improving.
> He does not remember visitors nor telephone calls correctly or at all.
>  All in all it was good seeing my buddy after the scare he gave us. We
> will be with Sheila thru Wednesday am and visit Bob before we head back
> south.
>                 TTYL,    Mark

Thanks for the update.
Accidents can do some strange things to your memory. Back when I was
still young and stupid I had a bad one on a bike. The only thing about
it I remember is that the sun was shining and that I was headed toward
Albany. From the impact till what they tell me was the second day in the
hospital I don't have a clue. For about 3 months I could barely remember
my own name. Then suddenly it all popped back with that accident piece
missing. People ask me what I think occurred and I just tell them that
God was a bit busy and it took him that long to edit my memories and
send them back.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York