[SEL] cable plowing now Furnace Power

Curt curt at imc-group.com
Wed Aug 2 04:39:41 PDT 2006

Rick,
With E channel Ajax copper furnaces you _never_ shut them down. Once the
copper solidifies, the channel will seperate and the circuit is broken,
rendering the furnace (and the 30,000# of copper in it) useless.
When Duke says it time to shut down, we put the furnaces in low power
(maintains temperature only) and put them on the generator. Yeah it
expensive to feed all the diesel fuel for hours, but being able to buy
power at 4 cent/kw-hr year round is worth it. The penalties for not
getting below the agreed kw-hr usage are staggering. I believe it is an
additional 29 cents/kw-hr! At just 4 cents/kw-hr we have a monthly power
bill of $70,000. You can see what an additonal 29 cents would do to a
bill! Staggering.....
The 8 hours is the process of starting the casting line back up. In
other words getting the copper rod to come up vertically out of the
furnace, thru the water cooled coolerbody, bend 90° and into the rolling
mills. We are running 2 lines and are casting between 3.5 to 4 million
pounds of copper each month.
Curt