[SEL] Nice Wheels/ cable plowing

Alan Bowen rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 17:54:41 PDT 2006

Yup, Curt.
  I remember several times hearing my step-father telling about the two men that would bring their steam traction engine and threshing machine to a field near his farm.  That is until the year he was just entering a corner of the 40 acre field where the crew was set-up threshing in the diagonal corner of the field and the engine blew up.
  He was on his wagon with a load of his wheat to be threshed.  He said four men died and two others were burned badly. His horses spooked, but he got them back under control without damage.
  A survivors of the event told him that the owner of the engine had tied down the pressure relief to get more power out of it.

  That seemed to be the way several steam engines blew up around here.
  Around the same time an engine that was powering a sawmill blew up killing three men.  That engineer was also known for pushing the pressure limits too far.
  Stupid people and Innocent ones too,,,,,, All removed from the gene pool.

  Alan Bowen
  Williamsburg, Michigan

Curt <curt at imc-group.com> wrote:
  Ya know Arnie, I've wondered if this was the case even with much less
expensive gas engines. Take a 8 or 10 HP saw rig. That's 4 or 5000
pounds of iron to pay for. In a few of days you can saw a winter's worth
of wood. I could see where a group of farmers would have bought one and
used horses to pull it from one farm to the other in a cooperative
arrangement.

Knowing the size of the team of men required to run and support a steam
traction engine, I suspect you are spot on about the cooperative effort.
Curt
P.S. I'm outta here in an hour of so. Duke Power just shut us down due
to excessive power consumption. We've got 30 minutes to get below a
kw-hr consumption rate and this means shutting the plant down and
putting the furnaces on generator for the next 6 hours or so, 'till the
household A/C usage subsides a little. Second or third shift will have
the pleasure of starting the casting lines back up. That's about an 8
hour process. Later.....