[SEL] semi - ot lock washer questions for engineers

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Fri Sep 23 11:30:47 PDT 2005

Bill,

    I think the split washers had their place but other means have now
taken their place.  The chemical fasteners like Locktite are probably
more reliable, cheaper, and faster to use (a guy doesn't have to place a
lock washer on a bolt and thread it in, the adhesive is adhered to the
bolt from the manufacturer and once it is screwed it, its "locked").  I
know that the split washers work as on numerous occasions I've screwed
out old bolts with lock washers and have "shaved" a cutting of metal off
the item and the bolt while screwing the bolt out.  No one can tell me
that hasn't helped keep the bolt from backing out.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY