[SEL] 5hp Galloway Sawing Outfit UPDATE

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Fri Sep 16 13:25:25 PDT 2005

In a message dated 9/16/2005 10:42:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com writes:

<<  This may be the reason that I
 was able to pull the flywheels with the key installed and not have it
 tighten up.  btw, the key way is not tapered either.  I built new keys
 (they're not square) and BMFH'd them home. >>

Rick,

Something does not sound right here.  Most of the engines that I know of have
either a split hub on the flywheel to tighten a bolt and uses a square key,
or they have a taper keyway in the hub and flat keyway in the crank and use a
tapered key.  I think there may have been a few small engines that used a
square key and a set screw in the hub of the flywheel to hold it in place. The
crank keyway was never tapered, only in the flywheel hub. I would do some more
checking and be very careful of driving in a square key.  If the square key
tightens up driving it in, it says that the keyway surfaces are not parallel, and
therefore must be tapered.  You are only talking about .012 taper per inch of
keyway length.

Tom Schmutz
Concord, Va. USA
Germoamer at aol.com