[SEL] 5hp Galloway Sawing Outfit UPDATE

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Fri Sep 16 07:13:22 PDT 2005

  G'day all;
    Yesterday I put in a full pull on the Gal.  Everything fell together,
needless to say a very unusual day.  If I'd had a ring, I'd have lit a fire
in her.

  After having the crank straightened, I only have 1/16" wobble in the
flywheels and feel I can live with that.

  Now to throw some $hit into the ballgame.  On the flywheels I cannot see
nor measure a taper in the key set.  I can take the shank of a drill bit and
push it all the way thru and still have slop.  This may be the reason that I
was able to pull the flywheels with the key installed and not have it
tighten up.  btw, the key way is not tapered either.  I built new keys
(they're not square) and BMFH'd them home.  Will keep an eye out down the
road for any evidence of "workin."

  Using a gib key might be the reason some hubs on the Gal's are crackin'
out...dunno.

  Today, I will groove the M/B babbitt and install the greasers and a
general cleanup.  She's back to looking good.

  My only concern now is that hopefully he got a good straight on the conn
rod and the alignment with the crank will be acceptable.

   "Happy Camper in The Big Sky"

RickinMt.