[SEL] Heat Treating Metal - The SEL Comes Thru!

Judge Tommy Turner lcjudge at scrtc.com
Sat Sep 10 14:43:10 PDT 2005

Thanks again to all those who provided info on hardening the gas valve
on the Miami.  I ordered some 4140 flat bar and round stock from
McMaster Carr.  I also ordered a pint of the Kasenit.  I decided to use
the Kasenit first as it would be the simplest and wouldn't require
machining of new parts.  I did a treatment on the roller and gas cam.
I've run the engine about 4 hours this afternoon and can't tell that
there is any wear on the parts.  The engine runs much better as well as
now the cam fully actuates the gas valve without it "slipping off".  All
the help and advice has been greatly appreciated.

Tommy Turner
Magnolia, KY