[SEL] Charity Auction proceeds.

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 13:15:05 PDT 2005

On 9/2/05, Judge Tommy Turner <lcjudge at scrtc.com> wrote:
>     I think you're right, more engineers isn't the answer (spoken by one
> who has an undergraduate degree in engineering).  Funding is the issue.
> The corps of engineers stated several years ago that the levees around
> New Orleans wouldn't hold and needed upgrading.  But, Congress didn't
> fund it (spending money on such important things as the study of snails
> in Alaska and the construction of a bridge costing half a billion that
> serves less than 50 residents).  Now all of us will pay for it via our
> tax dollars used in disaster aid and increased insurance premiums.
>
> Tommy Turner
> Magnolia, KY

Without getting too political, why on earth didn't anyone get at least
some support facilities on the move BEFORE the hurricane hit the south
coast?  Looking at it with hindsight from the comfort of 3000 miles
away, it seems that there was no collective will to make a start on
organising things until it was almost too late. ALL the government
from the top down needs to look at their performance in this matter
and go kick a few butts (to use the Colonial's expression!)

It's a terrible tragedy for those that live there, but again, they sat
their saying they weren't going to move, and then complained because
they got wiped out.

I also don't necessarily believe it would be any different anywhere
else in the world.....

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes