[SEL] Diesel Engine Starter With Oil Pump

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Wed Oct 26 21:11:08 PDT 2005

Hi List,
While I was visiting my local magneto repair shop today, I noticed  a diesel
starter motor with a mounted oil pump.  I was told that this  starter motor is
designed to pressurize the engine's oil system before  engaging the bendix
solenoid  to the flywheel and turn over the engine to  start it.
I remember that we had to turn over our diesel tractor engine with  the pony
engine until the oil system on the diesel was pressurized before  opening the
diesel fuel rack.
Is this a common practice to pressurize diesel engine's internal  oil system
prior to starting?

Francis  Maciel
Santa Maria, CA