[SEL] Muncie engine

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Fri Oct 14 06:06:12 PDT 2005

> I was wondering what the lever was for...J.B.  Is the injector by itself
> fairly commplicated and do you think one could be manufactured?
>
> Would you explain this statement a little more in depth.
>
> "there's a relief valve that dumps the fuel at the end of the stroke"
>
> Rick

I have a manual on the Buckeye, shows everything you need to know, I could send you a copy. Thr injrtor pump is a piston pump, one check on the intake side, three in series on the outlet if I remeber correctly. Above the piston is a relief valve, similar to a valve in a 4 cycle engine. As the piston is plunged in an attached shaft approaches the relief valve. Once the relief valve is opened injection quits. The governor slides a wedge in between the rod and valve, the deeper the wedge, the sooner the injection quits. The injector itself is a pop off type of valve, a small nozzle at the end. Bob Legnon reworked this part of it, we went with a smaller jet, .060" if IRC. The book listed difeerent nozzles for different loads and fuels, we went with the smallest since the engine would be running
unloaded with diesel. I would think some of the modern injectors could be adapted, pressure would have to be lowered, these aren't high pressure systems. The first time this engine was taken to a show was on a Friday, I wasn't present. THe head is supposed to be heated with a blow torch type of heater. The engine wouldn't start, so the Feltermans brought in an oxy acetylene torch with a rose bud. When it started it ran away and wouldn't stop even when fuel was cut off. The next day they were scared to start it again, not knowing why it ran away. I think what happened was the head is designed with a bowl in it tthat the injector squirts in to. There's a manual lever to bleed and test the injector. While setting things up wuite a bit of fuel was pumped into the bowl, filling it. This made it hard to heat enough for starting, the rose bud got the fuel boiling, the engine continued to run on the boiling vapors. It's standard procedure to remove the injector and check the bowl fo!
 r fuel before first starting.
On the Fairbanks Y's, it was customary to keep a sledge hammer close by, if the engine started running away you could knock the inspection covers in, stopping cylinder charging, killing the engine.
J.B. Castagnos