[SEL] Muncie engine

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Fri Oct 14 07:46:43 PDT 2005

Interesting stuff JB..a copy would be nice to clear up this foggy brain.

  Your runaway story reminds me many years ago when I was working on the
Missile Site.  We had three 300 CID supercharged Cummins' driving 150 KW
alternators.  Well the SOP was when a diesel ran away (leaking supercharger
seals) the procedure was to remove the top of the air cleaner..called a
precleaner I believe, and invert it on top of the air cleaner thusly
shutting off the air.  We always kept that pre cleaner loose for that
reason.  Well one day the boss thot he'd try that emergency proceedure out.
I never laughed so hard in my life.  It collapsed the entire air cleaner,
but it did shut down the engine.

  Wonder if that would werk on these ole girls??

Thanks JB
Rick