[SEL] Muncie engine

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 08:19:40 PDT 2005

On 10/11/05, Richard Strobel <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> wrote:
> Arnie..do they "bar it over" to start it..or use a pony setup?  And does it
> blow an oily mess?  The two stroke I've seen can kill misquitoes for miles
> around.
>
>   Just wondering what kind of injector was used on this ole girl...not
> mechanically operated so It must just shoot a spray when fuel pressure
> overrides the injector spring...at the correct time.
>
>   So now after chatting with a guy last night, this is probably what's known
> as a semi-diesel.  It doesn't have enuf compression to start, so an external
> hot bulb must be used...am I correct?
>
> Damn this is an exciting engine and probably once in a lifetime shot.  I'm
> pretty sure he'll trade it for my Toyota pickup which I'm cleaning up today.
> He does want it to stay in Montana and has made the statement several times:
> "Rick, will you promise me, you'll get it running?"  I'm going to assume
> it's stuck as he has nothing covering the intake and the bottom of the
> flywheels are in the dirt...aaarghhh!!!
>
> Well enuf fer now..
>
> Rick

Rick:

We have taken pictures of the Muncie Oil Engine on each of the three
years we have been to Portland, but non are really close-up. It has
two great big air tanks on the back of the trailer, so it definitely
isn't hand-start!

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Portland/Portland048.htm

Peter
--