[SEL] New Engine Acquisition (Hercules - Economy 1½ HP)

FRM8198 at aol.com FRM8198 at aol.com
Sun Oct 2 19:48:41 PDT 2005

Hi List,
The engine (Hercules - Economy 1½ HP) for which that I needed  information is
now in my garage.
I advertised for a "Hit - Miss" engine on "Craigslist for San Luis  Obispo".
The seller contacted me and sent me pictures of the engine.   Of course,
after I received the pictures, I asked the list for data on this  engine.  Thanks
to those list members who identified the engine for me, I  now have another
engine in my stable.  I also received several old copies  of the Gas Engine
Magazine with the engine.
The engine is not perfect.  The intake valve was stuck and is  free now.  It
has a retrofitted non original engine manufacturer  magneto.  This magneto is
chain driven from the crankshaft and it has  spark.  The bottom part of the
piston skirt is broken.  However, it  looks like it has been in this condition
for some time.  There are two non  adjacent broken teeth on the cam gear.  I am
thinking of welding  some cast iron nickel material in broken tooth area and
then grinding  each tooth back to shape.  The fuel tank leaks and will require
 repair.  Hopefully, I will be able to get it running soon.
The engine came from the High Desert area and it was owned by the  previous
owner's late Grandfather.  He also stated that his  Grandfather (Bob Stapleton)
belonged to the High Desert antique Power  Association.
Now the questions:
    1.    Are there  existing timing marks on the crankshaft and cam gears?
    2.    Is there any  other method I should consider in repairing the cam
gear?

Francis  Maciel
Santa Maria,  CA